Title: Church Musician (provisional)
Reports to: Pastor
Renewal: Semi-annually, upon review, and upon agreement of all parties. If the role is not renewed, the transition will be treated with respect and care. Both the person in the role and the position will be reviewed every six months.
Work Schedule: Up to 10 hours per week, including:
- 2 hours Sunday morning
- 1.5 hours Thursday evening (choir rehearsal)
- 1.5 hours each week to attend staff meetings and coordinate together with the pastor,
- remaining time used to prepare and practice for music leadership
Position type: This is an hourly paid position.
Purpose: Provide input on musical selection, share resources and contribute to musical leadership for worship services in collaboration with the Pastor.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- To play piano or organ and direct choirs during Sunday worship.
- To participate fully in meetings of the Crescent Hill Presbyterian Church staff.
- To confer with the pastor on anthems and other musical offerings (W-2.0305), in support of the work of the Pastor.
- To organize and direct the adult choir.
- To identify, nurture and utilize the musical talents of the Crescent Hill Presbyterian Church Community.
- To research options for music and hymns for worship, in consultation with the pastor.
- To seek out and work with vocal and instrumental soloists, as appropriate.
- To ensure that all instruments belonging to the church are properly tuned and maintained.
- Other duties as assigned by the pastor and/or session.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in music preferred.
- Experience: some preferred
- Skills and Qualities:
- Keyboard fluency
- Familiarity with sacred music
- Experience with Google Suite tools and Zoom preferred
- Comfortable with using technology, and willing to learn music recording equipment and software
- Excellent communications skills
- Knowledge of healthy, quality vocal and instrumental production
- Ability to work intergenerationally
- Sensitivity to Crescent Hill Presbyterian Church’s personality/culture
Revision date: May 26, 2021 (reviewed and approved by Personnel Committee and Session)
Please submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Please call the church office administrative assistant at: (502) 893-5381 with any questions.